September is the start of new school year and busy routines, but that is no reason to not have fun with the family. Boston has an interesting lineup of events that you can attend this month, at absolutely no cost. If you live in Boston and have time to spare during the week, or if you have plans to visit Boston this month, here is a list of the top 8 things to do in the city.
1. College Fest at Fenway Park – This is one of the biggest celebrations for college students in Boston. The event will take place at Fenway this year – all you need is a school ID and you can eat and enjoy all you can. The event is on September 13.
2. Boston Freedom Rally – Just a day after the Fenway College Fest is the Boston Freedom Rally, which begins at 12 pm on September 14. The rally, which celebrates legalization of marijuana in Massachusetts, turns 25 this year and will take place over 2 days. The event will have marketplaces and also performances for the visitors.
3. South Boston Street Festival – Catch Irish step-dance performances and martial arts performances during this one-day event that takes place on September 13 between the I and L streets on East Broadway, South Boston.
4. Berklee Beantown Jazz Festival – Gear up for a day of excellent jazz music this month at the Berklee Beantown Jazz festival. The event that will take place on September 27 has come back to the town this year with a new theme – Global Ambassador. The event will also have food vendors, inflatables as well as a petting zoo for the kids.
5. Get Fit with The November Project – The November Project has nothing to do with the month – it is the name of a fitness organization hosting free workouts three times each week for kids. The workouts are on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
6. Revels RiverSing – Join in to sign along with the RiverSing choir as it celebrates the beginning of fall and the end of summer. The event takes place on September 21 at Winthrop Park. Be sure to get there early if you want to participate.
7. Local Food Festival – The Boston Local Food Festival is on September 14 at the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway. The free food festival is an outdoor event featuring farmers, local restaurants and food trucks from the city.